All of us experience days whereby a dull ache in our muscles causes us much pain and distress throughout the day. Engaging in stretching exercises is always a good way to help relief pain. But, it simply isn’t possible or practical for us to lay out a yoga mat and start stretching ourselves in the office now, is it?
While there is a seeming dearth of choices to help relieve those pains, there is also the option of performing simple chair stretches that will provide you with near-instant relief. Here are 5 simple stretches that you can perform while you’re at work (or even in your study chair) without inviting any awkward questions!
Wrist pain is particularly common for those of us who are made to sit at our desks and type on our computers for hours. To relieve any excessive tension in your wrists, you can follow these steps:
- Clench both hands into fists.
- Stretch out both fists in front of you.
- Make circular motions with your wrists by circling both wrists 10 times in the clockwise direction, before repeating this process in the counter-clockwise direction.
Relieving any soreness or pain in your shoulders is a simple process that can be done anywhere. To help you loosen up, you can follow these steps:
- Breathe in deeply while simultaneously lifting your shoulders up towards your ears.
- Hold this position for 3 seconds.
- Exhale slowly while simultaneously lowering your shoulders back into their original position.
- Repeat this process 10 times.
Hip pain can vary from more minor aches that makes sitting and walking painful to more extreme, chronic pain. While it is advisable to visit a doctor for more serious cases, this stretching exercise might help to relieve minor aches and pains:
- Sit at the edge of your chair.
- Straighten your back before rotating your torso slightly to the right.
- Bend your right leg in a right angle and extend it as far behind you as possible
- Press your left hip towards the floor. You should feel a nice stretch in the left hip flexor.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Release your left leg slowly.
- Repeat the process with the opposite side.
Sedentary populations commonly experience pain in the back area. Since the back muscles are large and complex, they are more prone to injury. You can help relieve any soreness by completing the following steps:
- Wrap your arms around yourself, but place your left hand on your right shoulder and your right hand on your left shoulder.
- Take a few deep breaths while holding this stretch for 30 seconds.
- To increase the intensity of the stretch, bend forward slightly while holding this position.
- Release your arms back to your sides slowly.
It is common to feel soreness in the lower back, even amongst active individuals. While there are several stretches that you can perform on the floor, this simple exercise can be executed conveniently from the comfort of your chair:
- Sit forward in your chair.
- Lift one knee towards your chest and clutch the back of your thighs with your hands.
- Hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Release your leg slowly.
- Repeat the process with the other leg.
While you should always seek professional advice if you’re facing severe and persisting pains, keeping minor pains and aches at bay can be easily achieved, even when within the confines of your work space. Perhaps a stretch a day can keep the doctor away!