The Mediterranean diet has always been celebrated for its health-promoting effects. The emphasis on whole grains, lean protein and healthy fat all points to a more nutritious and wholesome nutritional plan. If you've ever wondered how to work some Mediterranean flair into your breakfasts, here are some recipes to get you started:
Mediterranean Breakfast Salad
- 4 eggs
- 10 cups arugula
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ seedless cucumber (chopped)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 cup almonds (chopped)
- ½ cup mixed herbs like mint and dill (chopped)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil before reducing it to a simmer. Lower egg gently into the simmer for six minutes. After removing the eggs, run cold water over it. Peel eggs and cut them in halves.
- Combine arugula, cucumber, tomatoes, and quinoa in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir lightly.
- Divide salad into four serving portions. Add avocados and eggs. Sprinkle herbs and almonds, and add a dash of lemon juice.
Smoked Salmon with Poached Eggs on Toast
- 2 slices of bread (toasted)
- 2 oz. avocado (mashed)
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- 3.5 oz smoked salmon
- 2 eggs (poached)
- 1 tbsp scallions (thinly sliced)
- Add lemon juice and a pinch of salt into mashed avocado. Mix well.
- Toast bread before spreading avocado on it.
- Add smoked salmon and transfer eggs onto the toast carefully.
- Season to taste and garnish with scallions.
Note (How to poach eggs):
- Bring a small pot of water to a steady simmer and add a splash of white vinegar.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the simmering water with either a spatula or a spoon.
- Crack an egg into the water whirlpool and let cook for two minutes.
- Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the egg to an ice bath for around 10 seconds to stop it from cooking any further.
- Place your egg on a paper towel and gently pat it dry.
- 4-5 small or 1 ½ large yellow onions (halved and sliced)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes
- 6-8 large eggs
- 3 oz. feta cheese (crumbled)
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- In a large skillet, place butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir gently. Let onions sizzle to a deep brown after approximately an hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Cook garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Spread them in an even layer in the pan and crack eggs over the top. Sprinkle feta generously and season to taste. Cover the pan with a lid for about 10 to 15 minutes and continue cooking.
- Once ready, remove pan from heat.
Remember: the Mediterranean diet holds eating with your loved ones in equal esteem as when it comes to the quality of the food. Try surprising your family with a delicious breakfast spread on a weekend morning; nothing like waking up to the smell of amazing home-made food!