Do you salivate at the mere thought of a perfectly oven-baked cinnamon roll? Are you a fan of buttery pancakes? You can now rejoice as there is a recipe to create a perfect blend of the two. Here’s a bonus: It is also vegan!
You will need the following dry ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar (feel free to reduce this according to your personal taste buds)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
And the following wet ingredients:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (you can replace this with honey as well)
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil, at room temperature
- Avocado oil
For everyone’s favourite part – the glaze (optional):
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Pour the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Separately, in a small bowl, whisk the almond milk and maple syrup.
- Pour the contents in the small bowl into the large bowl before whisking, making sure to not overmix.
- Mix the coconut oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon in another small bowl.
- Transfer the paste into a pastry bag and snip off a corner. You can opt for a plastic zip-top bag in a pinch.
- Lightly grease a large non-stick griddle or skillet with the avocado oil. Place it over medium heat.
- When the pan starts to shimmer, pour a quarter cup of the batter onto the skillet.
- In a swirling pattern, pipe the cinnamon mixture into the batter.
- Flip the pancakes after about 3-5 minutes, or when tiny bubbles start to appear in the centre of the pancake.
- Cook the other side of the pancake for approximately a minute more.
- Repeat steps 6-10 until the batter is used up.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar and water until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze on the pancakes.
There’s nothing like the smell (and taste) of pancakes to usher in the morning, be it on the weekday or the weekend. Be sure to pay attention to your batter when it’s in the pan though – no one likes burnt pancakes!