Oats are a popular breakfast choice for many people all over the world. Being filled with fibre and protein, they are definitely one of the most nutritious and healthiest food around. However, having the same old oats for breakfast everyday might get monotonous and boring. To spice things up, here are some oatmeal porridge alternatives for you to try out!
Creamy banana buckwheat porridge
- 1 cup buckwheat grouts
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix the buckwheat with the boiling water in a pan and heat for a few minutes.
- Mix in the bananas, cinnamon and honey.
- Once the water in the mixture has been absorbed, add one cup of almond milk and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cook and slowly add in the second cup of almond milk. Ensure that the mixture does not dry up.
- Allow the mixture to cook completely (around 20 minutes) and add your choice of toppings.
Raw buckwheat porridge
- 2 cups raw buckwheat groats
- 1 ¼ cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup liquid sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Other toppings of choice (e.g. fruits, chocolate chips)
- Soak 2 cups of buckwheat groats in 4 cups of water and leave for at least an hour. Rinse it well after soaking.
- Add buckwheat groats, almond milk, chia seeds and vanilla into a food processor/ Process until these ingredients are well combined.
- Add in the sweetener and cinnamon.
- Divide the mixture into 4 different cups, and add your choice of toppings to each cup. Serve the dish chilled.
Walnut and date buckwheat porridge
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 medjool dates (pits removed)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Soak the buckwheat and raw walnuts overnight (in a jar). Rinse both thoroughly after soaking them.
- Add almond, milk, dates and cinnamon into a food blender. Blend until well-mixed.
- Add in the soaked buckwheat, walnuts and chia seeds into the mixture above.
- Divide the mixture into smaller bowls and add your toppings of choice .
Before you reach out for your same ol' batch of overnight oats again, do consider some of these alternative recipes to give your breakfast a fun and healthy twist. With this much variety, home-made oats will no longer have to be treated as a boring meal!