Why go with store-bought muesli when you can make your very own? Karin Reiter’s recipe for homemade muesli allows you to enjoy the wholesome goodness of this fibre-packed food without having to worry about added sugar and preservatives!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed millet of quinoa
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup organic, sun-dried goji berries (optional)
- 1/4 cup of dried un-sweetened coconut strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped raw almonds
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds or wheat germ
- 1-2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon/nutmeg (to taste)
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve with yoghurt, goats milk kefir, coconut yogurt or nut milk and fresh fruit.
When it comes to storing leftover muesli, make sure you keep them in an airtight container and place them in a dry part of your kitchen, away from heat and sunlight. Alternatively, you can also store them in the refrigerator to extend their shelf life.
Whether it’s for a quick breakfast or a nutritious snack, muesli comes as a great choice due to the high level of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants contained within. Try it for yourself; don’t be surprised if you get hooked!