Nothing beats having an icy treat to indulge in during a hot afternoon! Instead of loading up your fridge with sugary ice-creams and cakes, why not make some healthy and delicious popsicles at home? Not only are popsicles easy to make, they are also highly customisable and you can have loads of fun creating your favourite flavours. All you need are some popsicle moulds and fresh fruits and you’re good to go! Here are 3 simple recipes to get you started.
To make popsicles:
- Create the popsicle mixture by blending all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle moulds and freeze for about 2 hours until the mixture is slushy.
- Insert the popsicle sticks and freeze overnight.
- To remove the popsicles, hold the moulds briefly under hot water.
Recipes for popsicle mixtures (makes 10):
1. Strawberry margarita
- 5 cups strawberries
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoon Tequila Blanco
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt (to be sprinkled on the finished popsicle)
2. Pina Colada
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 350ml low-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup sweet cherries, pitted and halved (to be placed into the bottom of the popsicle mould instead of blending)
3. Mocha Chip
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 scoops whey protein powder
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon instant black coffee
- 85g dark chocolate chips (to be added to the slushy mixture instead of blending)
To ensure that the chocolate chips are spread evenly throughout the popsicle, you will need to repeat step 2 of popsicle-making twice. Pour half the mixture into the popsicle mould and add the chocolate chips before freezing for 2 hours until the mixture is slushy, then add the remaining chips and the rest of the mixture before freezing for another 2 hours before proceeding to step 3.
Making popsicles is as fun as eating them – the possibilities are endless so let your imagination go wild and experiment with crazy combinations! For an extra tasty treat, try throwing in whole fruit slices into the bottom of your popsicle moulds before pouring your blended mixture in!