When I was on my 6-month keto diet, I was easily irritable. I love my carbs and having that taken away from me felt like high treason against my very being. I got sick of peanut butter rather quickly and watching my friends snack on chips, biscuits and other yummy delights nearly drove me insane.
I really wish I had found these recipes during that period; it would have made my life then a whole lot better!
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (softened)
- 2 egg whites
- 21/4 cups almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and egg whites using an electric hand mixer on low-medium speed, until they form a uniform and smooth mixture.
- Add the almond flour and a pinch of salt. Continue mixing on low speed, until the almond flour is completely mixed in the with butter and eggs, to make a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until it reaches 1/8 inch in thickness. Peel away the top layer of parchment paper and transfer the bottom layer, with the rolled-out dough onto a baking sheet. Depending upon the size of your baking sheet, you may need to work in batches.
- Using a small knife or a pizza cutter to score the dough into approximately 11/2-inch squares. Sprinkle the dough with salt.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crackers have turned a light brown. Then, carefully remove from oven and allow to cool before gently breaking them apart along the scores.
- Enjoy immediately or transfer to a lidded container and store at room temp for up to a week. (storing in the refrigerator will prolong the life, but it can also cause the crackers to lose some of their crunch.)
- Pepperoni slices
- Mozzarella cheese grated
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cover baking pan with parchment paper and lay pepperoni slices on pan allowing for room between each.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top of each pepperoni slice.
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning on top.
- Bake for 9 minutes then remove from oven. The Pepperoni Crisps will begin to crisp as they cool.
- Optional: Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top before enjoying.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup non-nutritive sweetener
- 2 tsp yacon syrup
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 6 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Position oven rack in upper third of oven.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sweetener and yacon syrup. Cook, stirring frequently, until sweetener is dissolved and bubbles appear around the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with xanthan gum, whisking vigorously to combine. Stir in almond meal, shredded coconut and vanilla extract.
- Drop batter by the teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 4 inches between cookies. Using wet hands, press the cookies down to flatten slightly.
- Bake one sheet at a time in the upper third of oven for 8 to 12 minutes, until cookies are spread out and the edges are dark golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheet. Do not try to remove them before they have cooled and crisped up.
A keto diet may be tough especially if you love your carbs and sugar. Hopefully, these snacks are enough to help you get through those rough patches. As always, eat in moderation as the calories can pile up if you’re not careful. Don’t get too crazy with the snacking!