Coffee and the Whole30 diet: can they co-exist? The answer is yes, and that’s not at all! While a Whole30 diet is all about eating clean and thus excludes the condiments that we usually customise our coffees with (like milk and sugar), this diet is anything but a death sentence on delicious brews. In fact, Whole30 dietary restrictions are a great opportunity for you to try out some of these unique and flavourful coffee recipes!
Chai-spiced cold brew latte
Spice up a plain old coffee with chai – it’s one of the strongest flavours aorund and incredibly fragrant! This quick recipe only takes 5 minutes to prepare.
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric root
- A pinch of saffron
- 1/3 cup ground coffee beans
- ½ cup almond milk
- Ice cubes
- 2 cups of water
- Mix the coffee beans, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, turmeric and saffron into a coffee press.
- Add in the water, stir well and leave the mixture overnight in the fridge.
- Add the almond milk and ice cubes to your prepared coffee base when you’re ready to serve!
Coconut mint mocha
This is a Whole30-approved energiser, substituting all the regular ingredients for healthy ones but still managing to retain that fabulous kick.
- 2 cups of coffee base
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon of raw cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract
- ¼ cup of almond milk/water
- 2 tablespoons of light coconut milk (canned)
- Mix the coffee base, cocoa powder and dates in a blender on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the date and cocoa powder pulp to drain the liquid as much as you can.
- Sprinkle in vanilla and peppermint extract for flavouring.
- To serve, add coconut milk, almond milk and ice.
This recipe is much more unique. Bulletproof coffee isn’t like ordinary coffees – it’s an energy-boosting drink that’s also good for your brain and sharpens your focus.
- Coffee base (use Bulletproof coffee beans for the best results)
- 1 teaspoon of grass-fed ghee OR 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender for 20-30 seconds until the consistency is thick and foamy.
There are so many more wonderful variations of coffee that you can make, even under the constraints of a Whole30 diet. The sky’s the limit as long as you dare to experiment – try these proven recipes for some mouth-watering inspiration first!